De Facto Lawyers Perth

Only dedicated family lawyers in Perth who are experienced in de facto separation will have conduct of your matter!

De facto couples who separate after 1 December 2002 are entitled to the same property and maintenance rights as married couples in the Family Court of Western Australia.

De facto couples can apply to the Family Court of Western Australia for Orders in relation to property where:

  1. they have been in a de facto relationship for two years;
  2. the parties resided in Western Australia for at least one third of the relationship; and
  3. one party resides in Western Australia when the application is filed at the Family Court.

A de facto relationship is defined as a relationship between two people who live together in a marriage like relationship. There are indicators of a relationship which the Court may require to be satisfied and it can be a heterosexual or same sex relationship.

The applications for alteration of property interests for de facto couples must be filed at the Family Court of Western Australia within two years of separation. For married couples an application for alteration of property interests must be filed within 12 months of the parties’ divorce becoming absolute.

Family lawyer Richard Crane answers some of the most common questions about family law and cases in the short videos below. Click play to watch.

    Why you should Contact Us

    Phone Us on 08-9254-0000 To Schedule A Consultation

    We have 5 conveniently located offices in Perth, Jindalee, Joondalup, South Lake and Rockingham to deal with your case. You do not need to come into town to see us! We are in your local area for your convenience!

    We have a dedicated team of lawyers in Perth who love their involvement in law and providing high quality legal services at a competitive price to members of the public of Western Australia, which we have been doing since 1989.

    For all your personal injury enquiries, call us for a free no obligation telephone consult on 08 9254-000 or submit an online enquiry using the form below. For all other legal or to make an appointment with one of our helpful legal staff, call us to schedule a consult on 08 9254-0000. We respond to most requests within 1 business day.

    • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.