Only dedicated, experienced, specialist family law lawyers will have the conduct of your matter!

We do not delegate your important matters to articled clerks or para-legals like some firms do. We have never believed in this as it simply duplicates work and increases costs.

Upon separation, parents should to try to work together to reach an agreement as to various important matters, eg, where and with whom the children will live and what amount of time they will spend with the other parent.

In considering what amount of time a child is to live with either parent the Family Court is required to consider whether an “equal time” arrangement is in the best interests of the child, whether that arrangement is reasonable and practicable and, if it is not, the Court must consider whether make what it considers are appropriate orders.

Children’s issues also include making arrangements for the long-term care and welfare of the child and in such cases, there is a rebuttable presumption that it is in the best interests of the child for parents to have equal shared parental responsibility.

Who is Friedman Lurie Singh & D’Angelo?

We are an experienced and trusted firm of lawyers based in Perth with five offices across the metro area.

We have specialists in several areas of law including family law, personal injury law, criminal law, commercial and civil law.

Call us on 08-9254-0000 or complete the form on this page to submit your enquiry online. We respond to most online requests in one business day or less.


Parenting Plans and Parenting Orders

Separating couples may consider making a parenting plan when making arrangements for the day-to-day and long -term needs of the children.

A parenting plan is an informal agreement which is must be recorded in writing and voluntarily signed by both parents. The plan can be an exhaustive list of terms including, but not limited to:

  1. with whom and where a child will live and what time they will spend with the other parent;
  2. arrangements for days of special significance (Christmas, Easter, Birthdays, etc.);
  3. interstate and overseas travel;
  4. the sharing of costs needed to transport the children between the respective homes; and
  5. whether a parent can relocate with the children, etc.

Parenting plans are not enforceable in the Family Court but they will be taken into consideration by the Family Court in matters subsequently brought before it. It is also open to the Family Court to make Orders in the terms of the parenting plan as already agreed upon voluntarily if this is in the interests of the children.

Family Dispute Resolution in Perth

Before a party can proceed to the Family Court to seek Parenting Orders, excluding Consent Orders, they are required to undergo Family Dispute Resolution (FDR).

FDR requires parents to attempt to reach an agreement out of Court and where necessary to seek the services of an FDR service provider.

The FDR rules require parties to attend mediation and to make a genuine attempt to reach an agreement. If an agreement cannot be reached at this stage, the parties will be given an FDR certificate which they require prior to being able to proceed to the Family Court to seek Orders.

There are limited exemptions to undergoing FDR. See us to assist you with caring but strong advice and assistance.

Phone us on 08-9254-0000 to schedule a consultation.


Why you should Contact Us

We have 5 conveniently located offices in Perth, Jindalee, Joondalup, South Lake and Rockingham to deal with your case. You do not need to come into town to see us! We are in your local area for your convenience!

We have a dedicated team of lawyers who love their involvement in law and enjoy providing high-quality legal services at a competitive which we have been doing since 1989.

For all your family law enquiries, call us for a FREE no obligation telephone consultation on 08 9254-0000 or submit an online enquiry using the form below. We respond to most enquiries within 1 business day.